sunday post #16



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Reviewer. It's a chance to recap posts from the past week and tease upcoming content, as well as share new books, reading challenge progress, and anything else you've come across in the last seven days.

A calm week sandwiched between two busy ones, how nice! Unfortunately yesterday brought with it some spring allergies, which I've never really suffered from before. Claritin keeps the worst of the symptoms at bay, but a couple nights of mediocre sleep makes the days drag a little. I'm hoping the air quality clears later in the week since Thursday marks the start of a week-long film festival! I've attended several times in the past, just never as press, so I'm more excited for it than usual. It's too many films in too short a time to cover them all here; I will put together a little recap post for the end of the month, though!

Besides the festival I have a little blog catch-up to play this week. I haven't been able to blog hop and answer comments as regularly as I like this past week, so don't be surprised to see me popping up more than usual over the next few days!

READING CHALLENGES


In an attempt to keep my non-review copies from piling too high, I reached for a highly anticipated release this winter: Red Clocks by Leni Zumas. This was a Powell's Indiespensable selection (I've raved about their subscription box here before) in January and I've fallen a little behind on their recent titles. This was what I like to call a "comfortably good" read: nothing exemplary, but I stayed engaged the entire time. Comparisons to The Handmaid's Tale are apt, if a little on the nose. This is a lovely choice for fans of literary fiction or stories that have a dystopian flavor without going all-in.

The backlist blitz continues with a new series: The Bear and the Nightingale and The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden! She did a signing here in DFW shortly after Tower released but I've only recently gotten a hardcover of Bear and been able to start reading. These books are beautiful. I won't say any more here because I'd like to save any coherent praise for my double review but suffice to say I'm very eager for Winter of the Witch this coming fall!

Last I got around to The Woman in the Window by AJ Finn, which was the subject of a lot of hype at the start of the year. Unfortunately it was pretty 'blah' for me. Ever since The Girl on the Train I get frustrated very easily with alcoholic characters who may or may not have seen something awful. It just feels like a crutch to try and generate suspense, for me at least. I did enjoy Finn's writing, though, so I'd consider giving his next thriller a chance.

LAST WEEK ON THE BLOG
COMING UP ON THE BLOG

State of the ARC #4
Down the TBR Hole #18
Book Review: Undead Girl Gang by Lily Andersen
Book Review: Onyx & Ivory by Mindee Arnett

BOOK HAULS


Slightly bigger haul this week, although the majority of these are swaps that keep my pile from growing. I've seen and failed to get Sanctuary by Caryn Lix at two conventions now, but I finally managed to trade for a copy this week! I also got Odd One Out, the upcoming Nic Stone book, which I barely missed at NTTBF last weekend. And I won an ARC of Lies You Never Told Me by Jennifer Donaldson from BookishFirst. I started the excerpt just wanting to write a first impression for points but I found myself utterly captivated by the first chapters, so I'm happy to get a review copy! (Now to find room in my posting schedule for a review...)

AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
Has spring finally arrived for you? What series do you keep meaning to read, but haven't? Say hello in the comments and I hope y'all have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO TOP